LinkedIn is the world’s largest professional network on the internet. You can use LinkedIn to find the right job or internship, connect and strengthen professional relationships, and learn the skills you need to succeed in your career.
But how to utilize them to the max and find your dream job through Linkedln?
In this post, we are going to talk about what are the advantages of building your profile and network through Linkedln and what you can do to increase your chance of landing your dream job through Linkedln.
If you are looking for a social network platform for professionals who are looking for jobs and advance their career, then Linkedln is the perfect solution.
Any professionals with various backgrounds can join Linkedln and create their profile, such as students, job seekers, middle to upper management level professionals, and small to big business owners.
Corporations, small and big ones, could also build an established brand profile on Linkedln, by posting updates about their events, recruitments, and any news about their company and employees in general.
Basically, it’s a social network platform where professionals from various backgrounds could meet and interact with other professionals by participating in conversations, which can allow you to share your perspective on relevant issues and topics with others.
You can like and comment on posts and articles on LinkedIn and use Linkedln Reactions, post content, create and join Linkedln Groups to connect and grow with members who share your interests, experiences, or aspirations.
The Advantages of Using LinkedIn
Based on the features provided by Linkedln as mentioned above, the advantages of using LinkedIn that you can utilize to boost your career are:
1. Expand your Professional Global Network
By joining Linkedln, you’ll have the opportunity to build a network with other professionals globally. You could interact with them by following their profile, likes and comment on their posts, joining their online events such as online workshops, seminars, sales and marketing events, networking events, and so on.
If you think it’s necessary, you could also reach out to them and ask questions should you have any queries regarding their events or recruitment process
2. Update Your Resume Online
LinkedIn provides you the advantage of being able to update your resume online in a fast and easy way. A comprehensive and always up-to-date LinkedIn profile will summarize your professional experience to your connections, current and future employers, and recruiters.
Thus, it is crucial to keep updating your profile and your job status (job seekers, just join a new company, move to a new position et cetera) to give your connections and recruiters the latest development of your employment status and professional life.
3. Sharing Knowledge and Information
As mentioned briefly above, you could post and share useful, informative, and inspiring content to your networks, sharing knowledge as well as building trust with other professionals.
LinkedIn offers free, basic membership to anyone who wants to create and maintain a professional profile online, but if you upgrade to a Premium subscription, you’ll gain further access to LinkedIn’s products and features.
One of the features available for the paid premium subscriptions is Linkedin Learning which provides you with video courses and training in various business-related topics in diverse industries to help you improve your skills and learn new ones, as well as many other features designed for members who want to actively develop their careers.
If this is you, you could upgrade your free LinkedIn account to a premium one. You could have a free trial month. Afterward, For the “career” plan, you need to pay as little as 30.23 euro per month, which you can cancel anytime.
4. Get Update on Job Openings
For job seekers, this is the most useful Linkedln feature. Based on your profile (educational background, work experiences, and so on) and research history, Linkedln will routinely send you emails on jobs opening that are a good match for you.
Their “Apply” button makes the application process easier. Click on it and you will be instantly directed to the company’s website application page where you can follow the application procedures, or they will automatically submit your application by using the Curriculum Vitae and the information you have in your profile.
The LinkedIn Connections, What are They?
Now that you know the advantages of using LinkedIn to boost your career, now it’s time to put those into work and be one step closer to reaching your goals and getting your dream job.
But before we talk about the real actions to implement and increase your chance of getting hired by your dream company and landing you your dream job, first we need to know how to use the platform to expand your network.
To make other professionals find your profile easily and expand your network, you need to connect with as many people related to your career, industry, future career industry, and so on, as many as possible.
There are several types of connections on Linkedln :
1. 1st Degree Connections: these are the people that connect with us directly. We can see their posts and send them direct messages.
2. 2nd Degree Connections: these are the people that connected to us through our 1st-degree connection. We can directly send them our connection request.
3. 3rd Degree Connections: these people are the people that are connected to us through our 2nd-degree connection. The profile information displayed is limited by each of the user privacy settings, with a limited connection request and message sending as well.
4. Group Members: these people are the people that connected to us because we follow the same LinkedIn groups. You can message people directly in LinkedIn if you both share a group, rather than having to be their 1st-degree Connection. But first, you’ll need to go into the specific group and search for them again in order to be able to send them a message.
5. Linkedln Member (Out of Network): These are other Linkedln users who don’t belong to any category mentioned above.
With this kind of division, the size of your network could affect the search results. The bigger your combined networks (the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd-degree connections and group members), the bigger chance for you to be seen by recruiters.
How to Utilize Your Linkedln Profile and Network Efficiently
LinkedIn is the world’s largest professional networking platform, as well as one of the most influential social media networks. With around 756 million members, it provides a plethora of potential contacts for every professional looking for new jobs and advances their career.
Here are some ways to use your LinkedIn account for your personal, professional, and organizational success:
1. Maximizing your Profile
– Complete your LinkedIn profile. It’s the most important part because all LinkedIn users will be able to see it. You can also have a public profile that can be found by the external search engine, making your profile accessible to people who are not registered with Linkedln.
– Lindkedln’s internal search algorithm only finds profiles that rank as “complete”. It can get you more than 20 times as many views as incomplete profiles.
– Add a photo of yourself looking smart and professional.
– Mention your industry and location in your headline, to give anyone who’s looking at your profile get clear information on what you do as soon as they are looking at your profile
– Add your current position and describe your job descriptions, be as specific, clear, and concise as possible.
– Add your previous work experiences, details of your educational background, and four or five skills or your expertise.
– Don’t be vague, give details and examples of your skills and expertise. For example, don’t just say that you have good negotiation skills. Give an example of how you used them in the past that brought victory to your team.
– Compose a summary of who you are, what you do, and what you have to offer. Make them as enticing as you can. Sell yourself in a professional way. Add a link or upload examples of your work as “evidence” of your stellar performance
– Don’t lie on your profile or fake information. Your LinkedIn profile is your portfolio or online curriculum vitae that could easily be accessed by your future employers. They will search for people who are going to match their criteria. Adding false information will only hurt your chances of getting hired.
– Keep polishing and updating our profile, add and upload new information every time you have one, such as your new certified skills and training, being voted as the employee of the month, and other updates relevant to your career
– Check your profile analysis regularly, by checking your posts, seeing who viewed your profile and others. See if there’s something you could follow up on from there. For example, you could add and invite a person who viewed your profile or follow their company.
2. Connect with Other Professionals
– Find professionals who work as recruiters, works in Human Resources Departments, and headhunters. Usually, these people have large networks and connections. Add them as your 1st-degree connection. Therefore, you’ll be connected to their large network too and increase your chances to be “seen” by much bigger groups of people.
– Find professionals in mid to upper-level management, especially from big corporations. Add them to your network as your 1st-degree connection. They also have big networks and connections. Moreover, if they are professionals in the same industry or profession as yours, you’ll be connected with the “right” people who could potentially elevate your career.
– Make connections also with professionals working in other fields and industries, related to our work and passions. Thus, you’ll be connected will more professionals who are somewhat relevant for your career, as well as your potential future endeavor, while staying updated with the current news and trends outside your professional bubble.
– When you invite people to join your network, always take some time and effort to write notes to every person you invite. Introduce yourself, your name, occupation, and why you want to connect with them. You don’t need to be completely formal, but make sure it’s short, simple, polite, and professional.
– When they accept our invitation, drop a personal message to say “hello “and “thank you” for accepting your invitation.
– Please note that Linkedln is a platform for professionals. You have to use formal or informal but polite and concise language in your posts and comments.
– You’ll need to dedicate a specific amount of time to the platform. About 30 minutes to an hour per day is enough. You just need to make sure you maximize your allocated time in your Linkedln In to boost your profile and connect with the right kind of professionals by doing the steps mentioned above.
– Be active in the platform. If you can’t post often or regularly, try to still be active liking and commenting on other people’s posts and sharing, especially on the topics related to your profession and industry. These actions could attract people, especially the ones who will make good connections for you, to your profile.
– Once your 1st-degree connection is big enough, most likely, you’ll start receiving request invitations from other professionals. But remember, it will take time since there will be no instant results whatsoever.
– Most importantly, maintain your credential. When you work in a company, your behavior could affect your reputation. Their big names as corporations will add to your credentials, while the number of your networks will enhance your option of getting seen and heard by other professionals.
– The two should work well together simultaneously to bring the desired effect of using LinkedIn to boost your career. Thus, you need to keep adding the right connection to your network and interact politely with them and only sharing useful and relevant content are the keys to your success.
Over to You…
Linkedin is a powerful social media platform for professionals, that enables you to network with people and professional organizations in your industry.
It’s a great way to connect with other professionals and to stay updated with the latest developments in your industry and area of expertise, as well as share information with others.
In other words, you could use Linkedln to expand your professional and global network, share knowledge and information, get an update on jobs opening, and have your resume online, fully accessible to the public, for you to be discovered by the right professionals, which could lead to your dream job.
In order to get the career of your dream, you need to maximize your profile and build your network by connecting with other professionals in Linkedln, which can be classified into 1st, 2nd, 3rd degree of connections, the mutual group members, and other LinkedIn members.
Invite other professionals to connect, especially the recruiters, the HR people, the headhunters, and executives in the middle to top management level of your industry.
The more connection you have, the bigger chance for your profile to get noticed by a larger number of professionals. Interact with them engagingly, be active in the platform like liking, commenting, and sharing other professionals’ posts, as well as posting your own content.
Join the online events such as sales, marketing, or networking events held by the companies you follow, and the ones in your industry. Don’t hesitate to reach out to other people, especially the HR department or the key people in the companies that you are interested in working with (article).
When you do all the points mentioned above, chances are, sooner or later, you’ll start getting plenty of invitations to connect and job offers.
That’s it for now, I would share more posts about Linkedln. What part about Linkedln do you want to know more about? Let me know in the comment down below. Feel free to add anything regarding this topic, really appreciate it
Pin them for later and share them on social media…connect with me on Linkedln, I’d be more than happy to see u there!!! thanks so much and till next time
- 6 Most Effective Ways to Use Linkedln and Make Connections
- Making Connections on Linkedln, How to Reach Out Directly to HR Department
- How to Choose Between Two Job Offers, 9 Critical Points to Consider
- 7 Crucial Factors to Consider When Choosing the Right Career for You
Follow me on Instagram